13 February 2008

It Would Be My Pleasure

I'm just writing this to let you know
(Though you never will read these words)
That it's time for me to stand up for...
Me.
I've stood up for you to everyone,
People I care about, people who were always right.
Because I wanted you.
I wanted you to be happy.
(Maybe even happy with me.)
I came running like some pathetic, attention starved
Puppy dog whenever you called me.
I was tied down by how my actions would
Affect your life. Everything was always about you.
Yet
You never seemed to care about ditching me
With the tears you brought around
When things just got to be serious.
Like you couldn't handle something as simple
As me.
You complicated me for far too long now.
I just want to breathe.
I want to meet someone new.
I want to... live without thinking of you.
I want to make plans for my day without setting aside time...
Just in case.
Just in case I get that phone call saying
I'll be lucky enough to see you tonight.
I've come to realize
You're really no prize.
I've come to realize
That even I deserve to be treated better than this.
That it's better to spend my time alone
Then to spend it trying to please you.

No comments: