01 May 2008

My Daddy

You taught me the importance of knowing
When to lay it all on the line,
You taught me to fight even when
It's a losing fight, because it's a matter
Of right and wrong.
You taught me there's a million ways to say I love you
And many of them go unnoticed.
They mean it just just the same though.
You taught me how to be stubborn,
And how to tune people out, cut them off,
How to lie.
But you also taught me strength, courage,
And to be myself.
You have hard lessons sometimes,
With the help of your old friend Jack,
A bloody lip, unsteady step.
I never thought I'd learn a thing from you,
But I've been learning all along.
Just wish I had paid more attention to the good.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

...and I really wish I could meet your dad. Were it not for the associated circumstances, I bet we'd probably have a hell of a time.

Maybe.